Good leather care is easy when done right. A big problem to avoid is the use of household cleaning products (even baby wipes) that are not approved for leather. Investing in a quality leather conditioner is most important - we have found Leather Protection Cream to be an excellent choice! Conditioning at least 2x each year is key to keeping leather from drying out. Cleaning leather can be done with a simple damp warm cloth. Use a very mild dish soap solution when deeper cleaning is required. Routine conditioning along with the leather care tips below will extend the life of your leather for years to come.
- Do not use any household cleaning products on your leather! Only use quality products designed for this purpose.
- Test all products (even those for leather) in a hard to see area before applying generally.
- Keep leather out of direct sunlight. Failure to do this will result in significant fading over time.
- Spills can be soaked up with a sponge or paper towel. Do not scrub spills but clean in a light circular motion.
- Most leathers (except full aniline) can be routinely cleaned with water and a lightly damp cotton cloth or sponge. Products are available where deeper cleaning is necessary.
- Rotate cushions and use of your leather so the surface wears evenly.
- Clean and protect your leather at least 2 times a year with a quality leather care product.
- A minor scratch on leather can often be easily fixed (see YouTube) but for serious damage call a professional. Fibrenew is one national outfit that does repair on leather. For ink stains we encourage you to carefully review ink removal products on Amazon and select the best for your needs.